lundi 24 décembre 2007

The Hat Show & The Black Church.

My grand mother and mother absolutely loved hats. This holiday season I am remember them in a special way. I am thinking about the many hats they would wear to church on Sunday morning. With it been Christmas I know that they would had been wearing some kind of red hat. My Granny would tilt hers' to the side a little bit. My MOM would pull hers' kinder low to the eye she looked fierce.

Growing up Baptist and a bit Judgmental I used to to think that my granny and mom outfits were just a bit flashy until I was exposed to the Church of God in Christ and realized those women took flashy to a whole nutha level. I almost stoped, when at a COGIC funeral, a sister came in wearing a Black sequined big brim hat cocked to the side.You know they even have a hat show in Memphis each November (disguised as Convocation). I used to shake my head at some of the outfits I would see on their way to Sunday service, but then I had to ask myself, "Where the hades else are they gonna wear that?"

It was the same thing with my gospel artists. I grew up listening to Mahalia Jackson, who was usually in a tasteful gown or simple choir robe or Shirley Caesar and Dorothy Norwood, who preferred bright, conservative suits. Imagine my shock when I discovered the Clark Sisters, Vickie Winans, Yolanda Adams, CeCe and others. I used to say who they singing too dress like they just left a bar. Ok... I realize these folks are performers, but some of the things they wear offstage are every bit as tacky. That's why growing up, the black church was something else. It always left you with such fond memories. That is why my heart will always been bent toward The Old Black Church.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire