mardi 11 juin 2013

Kanye West Debuts 'I Am a God' Song From Upcoming 'Yeezus' Album.

Rapper Kanye West debuted three tracks from his upcoming Yeezus album at the Governors Ball Music Festival on Sunday in New York, with one track titled "I Am a God" and including the lyrics: "I just talked to Jesus, and he said, 'What up, Yeezus?'

The Chicago, Ill., recording artist whose "Jesus Walks" breakout single from 2004's The College Dropout album helped earn him a Grammy and was recognized by the Stellar Gospel Music Awards as a possible contender for Best Gospel Rap Album, might have ruffled the feathers of some Christian music fans with his latest work. While he is certainly not the first hip-hop artist to refer to himself as "god," West seems to have a track record when it comes to comparing himself to Jesus Christ, which may have started with the February 2006 cover of Rolling Stone magazine that features a blood-stained West wearing a crown of thorns.
For his "I Am a God" performance on Sunday, West took the stage while fans cheered and a rap/rock/industrial type beat reverberated throughout Randall's Island Park, where the festival took place.
West, who also goes by the nickname Yeezy, raps on the song: "I am a god / hurry up with my damn massage / hurry up with my damn menage / get the Porsche out the damn garage …. I am a god / even though I'm a man of God / my whole life in the hands of God / see y'all better quit playing with God …"
At another point, West raps (courtesy of Rap Genius): "I just talked to Jesus / he said, 'What up, Yeezus?' I said, 'S**t, I'm chillin' / trying to stack these millions / I know he the Most High / but I am a close high / Mi casa (es) su casa / that's our cosa nostra … I am a god …"
On Rap Genius, a Wikipedia-like community that allows users to transcribe music lyrics and speculate on their meaning, several so-called scholars made conjectureWest, who is expecting his first child with reality television star Kim Kardashian, attracted even more criticism when an image circulated in May purportedly said to be the cover art for the Yeezus album. The artwork depicted an image of West nailed to a Y-shaped wooden beam, an apparent reference to Jesus Christ's crucifixion. A final image seems to have emerged, however, of the album cover art, which West has kept very minimal. The latest image suggests the CD comes packaged on a plain disc, in a plain case and features only a piece of red tape or a red sticker.
West reportedly performed 21 tracks, mostly songs from his previous albums, at the Governors Ball on Sunday. A video recording of West's performance of "I Am a God" can be viewed on YouTube 
Yeezus is West's sixth solo album and has been described as "dark," "aggressive" and "raw" by collaborators. The recording artist, who celebrated his 36th birthday on Saturday, is expected to release Yeezus on June 18 via Roc-A-Fella Records.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire